One of the most common problems you can have with a recliner footrest is spring failure. To remedy the problem, use a wrench to remove the pins that hold the spring in place.
You can then use the wrench to remove the pins that hold the footrest to the spring to remove the spring completely. From here, you can attach the new recliner spring to your footrest.
Recliners have become one of the most used pieces of furniture in our homes. This makes it inevitable that they may experience a few problems during their lifetime.
Here, we tackle the footrest, with eight different ways to fix an old recliner footrest mechanism.
In This Article We'll Discuss
#1 How to fix a recliner footrest spring
It’s not uncommon for a recliner footrest spring to come loose from time to time, whether it is due to breakage or rust. The spring helps to adjust your footrest so that it sits in the perfect position for you to lie down. Luckily, there’s a quick solution to getting your footrest back into working order.
- Position your recliner upright and flip it to the other side to access the reclining mechanism.
- From here, you can find the spring that connects the footrest to the rest of the recliner.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the screws that attach the spring to the recliner, and take out the old spring. Remember exactly how you removed the spring, as you’ll need to do everything in the reverse order in the next step.
- Now, with a new replacement spring in hand, reinstall everything, making sure the screws are nice and tight.
#2 How to fix a recliner footrest that won’t stay up or is sagging
If your recliner’s footrest isn’t staying upright, the adjusting mechanism may be the problem. Luckily for you, this is another easy fix that you can do at home with a few basic tools to repair that sagging recliner footrest.
- Flip over the recliner and track down the adjusting mechanism.
- Look for the ratchet – the bit of the mechanism that allows the sagging footrest to lock into place.
- You’ll need to be able to access this ratchet. To do this, remove any spare screws and springs that are in your way. Remember to take note of what goes where so you can put it all back together again afterward.
- Once you’ve got to the ratchet, remove the bar attached to it. This is likely to be the culprit of the problem.
- Replace or fix this bar, and reattach it to the ratchet. Then, put the pullout mechanism back together.
#3 Recliner footrest won’t stay down or won’t close
When a recliner footrest is stuck in the upright position, it’s down to a lack of lubricant in the mechanism. This can happen over time as the original lubricant gets worn out and new oiling isn’t applied.
Disclaimer: This can get messy, so make sure you protect your recliner so it doesn’t get stained by the excess oil.
- Flip over the recliner and find the wooden chassis. Unscrew all the screws that hold this part to the metal rails bar.
- With this out of the way, you’ll be able to access the important joints. Using a proper lubrication spray, target any joints that you can see and spray them with the oil.
- Put all the screws back in, and make sure they’re tight to avoid any loose screws.
#4 How to fix a power or electric recliner footrest
Several things can cause your power recliner’s footrest mechanism to stop working. Some of these are quick fixes that you can do at home, while others may need the help of a professional.
Loose Wiring: To fix this problem, check the wires around your motor and make sure they are properly connected. If you can, try to secure them with a clamp.
Power Surges: Power surges cause the transformer in the motor to overheat and die. If your transformer has a green light on it, it’s working properly as it should. If not, you’ll need to replace the motor with the help of a professional.
#5 How to fix a bent recliner footrest
If your footrest is leaning when the recliner is open, the scissors in the mechanism may be bent or even broken. There’s no easy fix for this problem, and you’ll need to replace the mechanism completely.
Note: Some manufacturers will offer a warranty on your chair, in which case you may be able to get it fixed for free.
#6 How to fix an uneven recliner footrest that leans to one side
There are a couple of different ways how to fix recliner footrest that leans to one side. One you can do by yourself, the other may need some professional help.
Start by flipping over your recliner. This will allow you to examine the reclining mechanism that attaches the footrest to the recliner. Make sure that screws are securely in place, and none are loose.
A simple tightening of all the bolts and screws should do the trick. If not, take a closer look at the scissor mechanism – is it bent? If it is, you’ll need to replace the whole part.
#7 How to fix a lazy boy recliner footrest
Getting stuck in a chair upright or halfway position is a problem that is all too common with lazy boy recliners. Usually, this is all down to a broken or a malfunctioning ratchet in the adjusting mechanism.
- First things first, you’ll need to check the springs on your ratchet.
- Turn the recliner upside down and locate the ratchet under the cover.
- Find the springs that are at both ends of the ratchet and remove the pins that are holding them into place.
- This will allow you to remove the springs and replace them with new ones.
If this doesn’t work one of the only other ways to fix the problem in a lazy boy recliner footrest is to move the ratchet completely.
Unfortunately, this means that you won’t be able to set the lazyboy recliner in the middle position. It will either be completely upright all the way down.
#8 How to tighten a loose recliner footrest
When the mechanism in your chair starts to get loose, it may start to feel uncomfortable. This is general wear and tear that will happen to most recliners over time.
If your footrest is loose, you’ll simply need to tighten up the fasteners that secure it to the main mechanism. If the whole of your chair is feeling loose, find the metal brackets on the back and tighten these fasteners.
Where to purchase parts for a recliner?
You should be able to find parts for your recliner in your local hardware store. Alternatively, you’ll be able to find most things online using a shopping marketplace, like Amazon.
Conclusion on how to fix recliner footrest
Learning these fixes isn’t as complicated as you might have first thought. Equipping yourself with the right tools, and the information in this guide will help you to get your footrest on the road to recovery in no time.
If you have any helpful tips to share, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below, or share this post for your friends to use.