Want to create an instant focal point in your outdoor space? Add an outdoor area rug to your seating or dining space. It will instantly create an anchor point for your furniture. Plus, it can bring a splash of color and pattern. Select the best outdoor rugs for your space.
If you browse the Internet for an outdoor rug, you’ll see a wide range of options. To make things a bit easier, we’ve gathered eight rugs that will fit into any number of spaces. First, let see what you need to look for in an outdoor rug, then go through these eight options.
In This Article We'll Discuss
How to Pick an Outdoor Rug
Before you buy an outdoor rug, it’s important to think about a few things first. They will help you find the perfect rug for your space.
- Size – The size you choose depends on where it’s used and for what purpose. If you are putting a rug under a dining table, it should be at least two feet wider on all sides of the table. This allows the diners to pull back their chairs without leaving the rug. If you want a rug under a seating area, it should be large enough for the front legs of your chairs and sofa to sit on the edge. You can also get an oversized rug that covers most of the patio or deck area.
- Material – For outdoor rugs, you have two options. The first is synthetic materials, like acrylic or polypropylene. These rugs are lightweight, durable, and come in vibrant colors. They can take water without any problems. They are not as soft or plush as indoor type rugs. The second option is natural fibers like sisal or bamboo. They have a great texture and good for foot traffic. The downside is that natural fibers can mildew or rot if they get too wet. They are best used on covered, well-drained decks and patios.
- Shape – Like indoor rugs, you can get outdoor rugs in different shapes. A good rule of thumb is to match the shape to the rest of the future. Your round dining table, for example, would look good over a round rug. A seating area usually works best with a rectangular or square rug.
- Cleaning and Maintenance – Every outdoor rug needs some cleaning and maintenance to keep it looking good. Manufacturers usually include detailed cleaning and maintenance instructions. In general, most outdoor rugs are easy to clean with diluted dish soap, a brush, and a hose. Let dry in the sun before putting it back in place. Clean monthly and at the start and end of each season. Roll up and store over the winter.
Best Value for Price
Made from 100% polypropylene, the Nourison Aloha offers a dance of lotus flowers in green, navy, blue, and orange. Its base is a flat weave, with the lotus flower design rising up in 0.25-inch cut pile patterns. The Aloha is easy to keep clean with regular vacuuming and spot cleaning. It’s fully machine washable, which makes for effortless cleaning and care.
The Aloha is available in many sizes and shapes. It’s a versatile option both inside and outside the home. You can get it in square, round, and rectangular, with runner options for hallways and transition points. It comes in sizes large enough to cover most of your deck or a good size room. It also comes in smaller options, perfect for in front of a chair or under a hall table.
- Available in multiple sizes and shapes
- Easy to care for
- Higher-end look at inexpensive price
- Dries easily after getting wet
- Resists stains
Best for UV Resistance
If you’re looking for a modern take on a classic rug, the Gertmenian Outdoor Patio Rug Series is a stylish option. Made from 100% polypropylene yarns, this rug offers easy care with exceptional UV resistance. It has a 0.2″ pile, which makes it easy to keep clean while enjoying a cushioning under your feet. The rug is easy to keep clean. All you need to do is hose it down and let it dry in the sun.
The Gertmenian outdoor rug series comes in several patterns and colors. Some of the rugs offer a large central medallion with details along the edges. Others provide a repeating pattern, such as triangles or medallions. The rug is available in a standard 5×7 which is good for small dining or seating areas. It also comes in the large 8×10 which works in larger areas.
- Available in many colors and patterns
- Excellent UV resistance
- Easy to care for
- Made from ultra-strong polypropylene yarns under strict quality control
Best Selection of Colors, Sizes, and Shapes
If you want an outdoor rug that’s easy care and comes in several colors and sizes, the Unique Loom Trellis Outdoor Rugs are just what you’re looking for. These rugs are made from 100% polypropylene yarns, woven tight for ultra durability. They work well for high traffic inside and outside the home. It’s mold and mildew resistant and completely waterproof. The polypropylene yarns make it easy to clean.
Sizes and colors are never a problem with these rugs. You can get them in sizes as small as 2-feet by 3-feet, and up to 10-feet by 12-feet. They come in round, rectangular, and square. You can also get a runner if desired. Color selection is just as superb. Go for a beige or brown. Or, if you want something more colorful, try an aquamarine, rust, turquoise or magenta.
- Wide selection on size, shape, and colors
- Easy to keep clean and dries quickly
- Lightweight, yet durable
- Nice feel underfoot
- Some complaints of fading after a few months in the direct sun
- Should be used with non-skid pad
Best Rated for Softness
Looking for something traditional with a casual touch? The Unique Loom Traditional Collection combines traditional rug patterns with a distressed finish. It’s a great mix for outdoor spaces around a more traditional home. Made of 100% polypropylene, these rugs are perfect for the outdoors. They resist mold and mildew, while being totally waterproof. You can use them inside or outside. The rug is completely reversible.
You can get these rugs in an assortment of sizes, shapes, and colors to fit your decorating style. Go with a neutral light brown or gray. Add a splash of blue, green, or rust to bring some personality. You can find a size to fit any space you have. Go with a 2×6 runner, a 6×8 rectangle, or a 9×12 room-size rug. Get one, two, or mix and match.
- Combines traditional with casual look
- Easy to keep clean
- Soft under the feet
- Some designs are not reversible
Best Rated for Versatility
Need a rug that you can take with you? The DII Moroccan Indoor/Outdoor Reversible Rug is the rug for you. Measuring 4×6, this rug is small enough to roll up and take on a picnic or on a camping trip. However, it’s high-quality and durable enough to put out on your patio in the summer.
Made completely from virgin polypropylene fibers, this rug is easy to clean and fade resistant. It works in the garage, on the deck, or next to the camp fire.
The rug comes in two color combinations: black/white and light green/white. The lattice pattern works with almost any decor. This rug is completely reversible, with one color being more dominant on each side. The manufacturer does recommend a non-skid pad underneath when used on any permanent surface. It comes in only one size.
- Great for patios, decks, camping, RVs, etc.
- Easy to care for, just wash with hose and let dry
- Fully reversible, making it simple to change looks
- Good size for transporting
- Size and color selection is limited
Best Rated Overall
If fun colors and eco-friendly are at the top of your list for area rugs, the Fab Habitat Reversible Rug is the one for you. It’s made from 100% recycled premium plastic. It’s soft under the feet, yet able to handle foot traffic without any problems. The plastic material makes it resistant to mold and mildew. It’s fade resistant and practical both inside and outside.
Each rug has multiple tones and shades, mixed together for a stylish look. The rugs come in colors like turquoise, moss green, reds, grays, lemon and apple green. It’s available in sizes ranging from 3×5 up to 8×10. Most of the rugs come with a jute bag for easy carrying to the beach or park for a picnic.
- Fun, vibrant colors
- Durable color and construction
- Soft under the feet
- Most sizes come with carrying bag
- Requires non-skid pad
- Very lightweight, requires weight to keep it from moving when it’s windy
Best Rated for Style
Transitional design and quality craftsmanship make the Safavieh Courtyard Collection a stylish selection for any outdoor space. This collection offers a two-tone pattern that works well in both traditional and contemporary homes. They are made from premium polypropylene fibers, so the rugs are easy to clean and dry. The sleek flatweave design is perfect for seamless transition.
This collection offers a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors, making it versatile throughout your outdoor space. You can get runner, square, rectangle, and round rugs in multiple sizes going up to 9×12. Blue, red, anthracite, beige, bone, olive, and green are just a few of the colors available.
- Good quality for the price
- Available in a number of colors and sizes
- Transitional design works in both traditional and contemporary spaces
- Tends to fade in direct sun
- Requires non-skid pad on smooth surfaces
Best Rug for Both Outdoors and Indoors
Want to bring world design to your outdoor space? The Fab Habitat Recycled Outdoor Rug makes a stylish statement no matter where you use it. These rugs are made from 100% recycled plastic, tightly woven and built to last. It’s hard-wearing, but feels great under the feet. Due to its durability, it works anywhere outside. Put it on the deck or take it along for a picnic.
This rug is very lightweight and easy to carry around. Most sizes come with a jute carrier bag, making storae and transport simple. It’s mold and mildew resistant. The designs for these rugs come from many weaving traditions the world over. You can find designs from South America, Africa, the Southwest US, and more.
- Simple to clean and dry
- Designs make it work inside and outside
- Simple to clean and dry
- Very lightweight. Needs to be weighted or anchored outside
- Requires a non-skid pad to prevent slipping.
Matching your outdoor rug with your lifestyle and decor needs makes it easy to customize your deck or patio. This selection is among the best outdoor rugs on the market today. Take a look and find the perfect one for you. Which one is at the top of your list?