Taking a shower shouldn’t just be routine and boring. It needs to be a relaxing, luxurious experience, no matter when you are showering. One way to make this happen is with the help of a dual shower head. It gives you a double dose of warm, inviting water to help you wash away stress.
Let’s look at what it takes to make the best dual shower head. Then, compare a few to see which one ranks as the best dual shower head.
How to Choose a Dual Shower Head
So, what should you be looking for when it comes to a dual shower head? Here are our suggestions.
Look through a number of dual shower heads and you will notice a couple of different configurations. One is where both shower heads are in a fixed position. In this configuration, sometimes they are side-by-side. Other times they are one on top of the other.
The other common configuration is where one shower head is in a fixed position, while the other ones can be moved. Many times the second shower head is on a hose. Sometimes, it is on a rail that allows the user to position it up or down.
When selecting a dual shower head, make sure you which configuration you want. That way you can get a unit that accommodates your desires.
Besides the shower head configurations, you also need to consider the setting options. Most dual shower heads allow the user to adjust the way the water comes out. Many models come with settings like rain, massage, mist, jet, and water saving.
Each setting on the shower head changes the experience of the user. The rain setting, for example, delivers a gentle shower of drops that feels like standing in a rain shower. Its jet setting, on the other hand, delivers a firm pulsation of water that’s good for sore muscles.
The more settings on the shower heads, the more options the user can experience.
When adding dual shower heads to your bathroom, it’s a good idea to coordinate the finish with what’s already in the bathroom. That way, the room retains a cohesive look. The good news is that dual shower heads are quite popular and come in an array of finishes.
You can select from chrome, nickel, or bronze. You can choose a finish like satin or polished.
Price is a consideration for most consumers. Finding a shower head that has all the features you want at a price you can afford is ideal. The popularity of these shower heads is good for those who want to save some money.
Manufacturers offer a range of models at different price points. It’s a matter of taking the time to compare options. Find one that fits the budget and the desired features.
If you are going to the trouble of changing out shower heads, it’s important to go with a model that will last for several years. It needs to have solid construction and be made from durable materials. Models made from cheap plastic are not going to last as long as those made from more durable materials like ABS and metal.
The warranty needs to be a serious consideration. The manufacturer conveys their quality through the warranty period they offer. A longer warranty period usually means the dual shower head is made to last.
When looking at warranties, it’s important to compare what each one covers. A shorter warranty might give you coverage for the finish on the outside of the unit. A longer warranty usually provides good coverage for the working parts of the unit inside. Some manufacturers offer limited lifetime warranties that cover some parts longer than others.
Besides the different shower head settings and configurations, you need to also consider additional features offered by some shower head models.
- Simultaneous use – Can both shower heads be used at the same time? Some dual shower heads are made to be used in tandem. However, some models only allow use of one at a time. If you want a true spa experience, you want the ability to use both at one time.
- Water pressure requirements – Some dual shower head models feature high pressure sprays. These sprays require the incoming water pressure to be above a certain point. When considering a high pressure spray model, always test your water pressure level before purchase.
- Diverters – How do you divert water from one head to the other? Many of these units come with diverters or switches that make this function simple.
- Adjustability – Can you adjust the water pressure? Can you adjust the angle of a fixed head? Consider these things before making your purchase.
The Many, Many Benefits of a Dual Shower Head
You may only be thinking about adding a dual shower head to your bathroom. Here are a few of the benefits you get when you change out your old shower head for a dual model.
- Perfect for two – Whether you want a romantic experience with your partner or want to be efficient bathing your kid, dual shower heads are the answer. It provides wider coverage and different setting for everyone. There’s more warm spray for everyone.
- Faster bathing – With twice the shower spray, you don’t have to position yourself in a particular way just to rinse off. The water hits a broader area, making it easier to get clean in the morning. Plus, with a handheld shower head, it’s a breeze to get hard to access areas clean.
- More options – With two shower heads you have twice the options available. After a long, stressful day, you might want a rain shower on the fixed head and a massage setting on the handheld. Before you head out for the day, you might want a jet on the fixed head and a mist on the handheld.
- Luxurious experience – Getting a dual spray of warm water is a truly magical experience. It allows you to relax and enjoy your shower, instead of rushing through it. Add in the spray options, and you can see why dual shower heads are so popular these days.
- Personalized experience – Every member of the family can have different settings. You might want a rain shower, while your spouse wants a massage. The kids may like a gentle mist, while you need to use the power wash on the dog.
Finding the right dual shower head can be challenging with so many models on the market. Here are five popular options to consider.
The American Standard 9035254.278 Spectra Plus Duo 4-Function 2-in-1 Shower Head is a stylish model that offers multiple options. It delivers a wide fixed shower head with a convenient handheld that’s easy to use and secure.
One of the first things you notice about this shower head is its design. The wide fixed shower head is a rectangle with rounded edges. The handheld shower head attaches to the center of this fixed head with a magnetic connector. Its Divert Paddle makes switching between shower heads easy.
The handheld shower head has Aqua Toggle to make switching between sprays easy. This model offers four spray patterns: Drench, Sensitive, Massage, and Power Wash. It has a pressure compensating control device to keep the water flowing at 1.8 gallons per minute.
It comes in multiple finishes, including Legacy Bronze, Brushed Nickel, Polished Chrome, and Polished Nickel. You can choose from the 1.8 gallon per minute model, or go with the 2.5 gallon per minute option.
The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty. The kit includes the shower head unit, Teflon tape, and an installation manual.
- Modern design fits into most bathrooms
- Pressure compensation system helps keep water flowing
- Range of finishes available
- Magnetic connector between fixed and handheld shower heads
- Four spray pattern settings
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Shower heads must be used separately
- Fittings around hose can start to leak
The Delta Faucet 5-Spray H2Okinetic In2ition 2-in-1 Dual Hand Held Shower Head brings three times the coverage compared to a standard shower head. It uses a unique wave pattern plus larger drops to give a truly luxurious feeling to the user.
It’s a hand held shower and a fixed shower head all in one. The head of the hand held shower fits into the center of the fixed shower head, creating a single unit that can function as two. A magnet holds the two together. When using it in dual mode, the user can get double the spray from above, or take it in two different directions.
This dual shower head offers five spray options: PowerDrench, Full body, Massage, Full Body with Massage, and Pause. When purchasing, the buyer can select from a number of finishes, including Champagne Bronze, Stainless, Matte Black, Polish Nickel, Chrome, and Venetian Bronze.
The manufacturer offers a lifetime limited warranty on this model. It can achieve up to 1.75 gallons per minute.
- Sleek stylish look that works in a range of bathroom styles
- Comes in six different finishes
- Fixed shower head with detachable hand held shower
- Magnetic connector holds handheld in place
- Can work in dual or single mode
- Lifetime limited warranty
- This is the most expensive option in our comparison
- Fittings around hose may start to leak in a few months
- Include heavy flow restrictor (can be removed)
The AquaDance Oil Rubbed Bronze 7″ Premium High Pressure 3-Way Rainfall Combo Shower Head combines drenching flow and easy cleaning. Each shower head offers six different settings for maximum customization. It comes in oil-rubbed bronze and brushed nickel finishes.
Its fixed shower head is 7″ in diameter. It comes with a click dial setting and a finish that’s around the entire unit. The handheld unit offers a 4″ diameter face and an ergonomic grip handle. It attaches to the main unit with a six-foot reinforced stainless steel hose and brass connection nuts. Both showerheads offer six settings: power rain, pulsing massage, power mist, rain massage, rain mist, and water saving pause mode.
The modern design makes it a beautiful addition to almost any bathroom. It has a three-way diverter to allow for single or dual use. The kit includes washers, plumbers’ tape, and an installation manual. The manufacturer offers a hassle-free lifetime warranty with customer service available by phone.
- Modern design that incorporates large rain-style fixed head and smaller handheld
- Six settings for maximum relaxation and personalization
- Both shower heads include rub-clean jets
- Hose made from reinforced stainless steel
- Live customer support available by phone or email
- Hassle-free lifetime warranty
- Installation can be difficult
- Requires hand tightening, no tools
The Bright Showers Rain Shower head with Handheld Spray incorporates modern design in a low-maintenance unit. It’s easy to install without any tools. Everything you need is included except the shower arm.
Up top, a eight inch square fixed shower head offers 200 nozzles for a drenching rain shower. It can be easily adjusted and tightened by hand. The handheld unit has its own slot. Like its bigger counterpart, the handheld is square and modern in design. The handheld has three different settings: saturating, massage, and combination.
The unit includes a three-way diverter to allow for single or dual shower head use. The diverter clicks and locks into place. Both showerheads have silicone rubber nozzles to decrease the chance of clogging. They also make cleaning it easier. The handheld shower attaches via the included five-foot stainless steel hose.
- Contemporary design fits into most decorating styles
- Included three spray settings on handheld
- Wide rain pattern from fixed shower head
- Three-way diverter allows single or dual use
- Silicone rubber nozzles decrease changes of clogging
- Includes everything but the shower arm
- Fixed shower head has only one setting
- Diverter is located above fixed shower head, hard to reach for shorter adults
The DreamSpa 3-way 8-Setting Rainfall Shower Head and Handheld Shower Combo gives you the luxury of a rainfall fixed head and a handheld with seven settings. The shower heads can be used together or separately.
The seven-inch diameter fixed shower head offers a soothing rainfall of water, with an adjustable angled neck. The separate handheld unit has a four-inch face along with a comfortable grip. Its available spray patterns include Power Rain, Pulsating Massage, Hydro-Mist, Eco Rain, Rain/Mist, Rain/Massage and Water-saving Pause.
It uses a three-zone click lever dial to set the configuration. The unit comes with a five-foot super flexible stainless steel hose. It also has conical brass hose nuts for easy hand tightening. The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty.
- Sleek design works in contemporary and traditional homes
- Large rainfall head offers soothing rhythm
- Handheld unit gives user seven pattern settings
- Limited lifetime warranty from manufacturer
- Hand tightened installation, no tools required
- Diverter for single and dual use
- Lowest cost among those compared
- Handheld can be difficult to reach
- Fixed shower head has only one setting
The Winner Is…
The clear winner in this comparison is the AquaDance Oil Rubbed Bronze 7″ Premium High Pressure 3-Way Rainfall Combo. It offers just the right balance of price and features. Both shower heads have six settings, which allows maximum personalization and relaxation. This is unlike the Bright Showers and DreamSpa models which only offered settings on the handheld unit.
The Aquadance includes a 72-inch hose which gives the extra reach needed for full family use. It works for tall and short adults, children of all sizes, and even makes it convenient for washing the dog. This offers 12 inches more than the hoses on the Bright Showers and DreamSpa options.
It includes everything you need for easy installation, except the shower arm. The manufacturer offers a hassle-free lifetime warranty with live customer support available by phone or email.